itemit launches the world’s simplest GPS asset tracking solution
We have some VERY exciting news. You can now track your assets in itemit using GPS trackers. itemit has launched the world’s simplest GPS asset tracking solution.
But what does that mean I hear you cry? Sit back, relax and prepare to be amazed!
Now you all know itemit is a low-cost and incredibly easy way to track your tools, equipment, fixed assets and much much more. And itemit is unique in that it gives you the choice of using a combination of QR codes, barcodes, and RFID tags to keep track of your critical assets. But what if we told you that you can now track your most important assets with GPS tags and that these assets will, therefore, tell you their location on a regular basis – with no manual scanning required at all!
itemit now offers you this exclusive functionality! We’ve been working hard behind the scenes to get these capabilities ready for launch, and we’re delighted to announce that itemit now comes as standard with the ability to add GPS tags.
So, what exactly are GPS tags? If you’re new to the world of GPS tags and technologies, then here’s a quick guide to get you up to speed.
GPS stands for Global Positioning System – in layman’s terms, this means that a GPS tag can determine its ground position (GPS address) by communicating with satellites. The tag is then able to tell you its location via clever bits of software, like itemit. As a result, the tag doesn’t need any nearby devices or people to be able to update its location, unlike tag rivals including Bluetooth, RFID and QR code tagging options.
- As the tag knows its own location, it doesn’t require any manual interaction or scanning to provide you with a location update
- If an asset is stolen or lost, you will still receive location updates from the tag, increasing your chances of being reunited with the asset
- Unfortunately, with great power comes great consequences. Because GPS tags are a much ‘smarter’ technology, they have bigger brains. This means that the physical size of a GPS tag can be significantly larger than a QR code or RFID tag. Although small tags are available on the market, their battery life is pretty poor. We live in the hope that one day soon the technology will have advanced even further and allow small tags to do what, today, only the big tags can do. How big are we talking? Our standard tags our 10cm x 5cm x 3cm.
- GPS tags won’t last forever. Okay, you might not expect any tag to last forever, but GPS tags run out of battery over time if they do not have a constant power source. To give you more an idea – with a tag updating you on its location once a day, you can expect the battery life of the tag to last in the region of 2-3 years. If you’re after hourly location updates, you’re looking at more like 2-3 months.
- Because the very nature of GPS technology means that each tag communicates with satellites, GPS technology is known for performing less well when indoors or buried somewhere in a huge building, for example. Outdoors is really where GPS technology comes into its own. Therefore, if you’re tracking construction tools and equipment, you may be on to a winner with GPS tags.
- GPS tags incur a charge each time they send data to your software which means, unfortunately, you also incur a charge. Our GPS tags have an annual fee to allow you to receive the location updates you need. But it’s so worth it – imagine, now you’ll always know where your assets are without relying on Engineers to scan your assets!
How do I get my hands on a GPS asset tracking device?
All you need to do is contact us, and we’ll talk you through your options and prices, depending on your requirements.
Buy your GPS trackers here for the low cost of £9.99 a month, billed annually*. This includes the GPS tracker and a subscription to our GPS service, as well as a configuration that suits your business’ needs.
*Price excludes VAT where applicable.
The best part is that you can buy one device today and try it out – tag your most critical asset and enjoy seeing your daily automatic location updates. It really couldn’t be simpler!
Start your free 14-day trial now
Instant access. No credit card details required.